Day Camp Counselor
Role: Day Camp Counselor
Job Type: Full time seasonal
Reports to: Day Camp Director
Works closely with: Operations Coordinator
Salary Range: $500 weekly
Day camp runs a lot like recess – we have a central playground area where kids can choose how to spend their time. It’s up to you to supervise, engage, ask questions, and play in the ways kids decide! We also offer lots of options each day – activities kids can choose to engage in, or not. A Day Camp counselor is responsible for planning and running at least one of these choice based activities every day. This position may include a few evenings for staff meetings and debriefs, but will mostly work during the day camp hours of 7:30-5:30.
Camp Reimagined Overview
Camp Reimagined – A NY-based camp for young people that is exploring pathways to a world where every child is loved and supported through socially & racially just, and gender inclusive environments built with youth at the center.
Camp Reimagined is designed to create access and opportunities for learners – particularly those from systematically marginalized groups. Camp works to implement their strategies, which include programming for youth and adults, and seeks to elevate their work to foster industry shifting impact. Camp Reimagined seeks to shift the larger narrative around what is possible for youth, stepping beyond the confines of “camp”.
This role’s core responsibilities are to:
- Plans, leads, and implements camp programs for children in a choice-based environment.
- Supervises campers and ensures their safety and general well-being.
- Engages campers in a partner with vs. power over model
- Ensures the cleanliness of the site.
- Assists in maintaining accurate program records, including incident reports, logbook documentation, and daily attendance.
- Knows, enforces, and follows all safety guidelines associated with the camp program, including knowing the whereabouts of your charges at all times.
- Maintains constant surveillance of bodies of water.
Qualifications(some or all):
- Strategic & creative thinker and planner with a youth centered mindset
- Independent self-starter with flexibility to work in an interactive environment with ambiguity
- Experience leading teams
- Time management
- Strong verbal communication skills
- A keen attention to detail
- Have a willingness to question convention, and to take bold but calculated risks
- Have a sense of humor and wonder
- Experience working with children
What we can offer you (as a baseline):
- Snacks and Lunch each day
- Creative freedom, support, and thought partnering
- Opportunity to work with an innovative organization
We believe that traditional hiring practices have historically and systemically marginalized entire groups of people — including people of color, people from working class backgrounds, women, and people in the LGBTQIA+ community to name a few. We believe that we are better as an organization when we work to deconstruct the barriers intrinsic in that system so that our team has authentic representation from diverse communities, backgrounds and beliefs. Hence, we strongly encourage people with these identities or who are members of other marginalized communities to apply for roles within our team.